Northern Suburbs News
Firefighters battle flames, cold in Yonkers fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire burned through a Yonkers apartment building early Wednesday, leaving at least 20 homeless.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a four-story building on Hawthorne Avenue just after 12:30 a.m.
Between 20 to 25 occupants of nine apartments were left homeless.
The residents were not allowed back into the building because of icy stairs and water damage caused by freezing temperatures.
Firefighters were also treated at the scene for exposure to the cold conditions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments