Northern Suburbs News
Firefighters battle flames, cold in Yonkers fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire burned through a Yonkers apartment building early Wednesday, leaving at least 20 homeless.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a four-story building on Hawthorne Avenue just after 12:30 a.m.
Between 20 to 25 occupants of nine apartments were left homeless.
The residents were not allowed back into the building because of icy stairs and water damage caused by freezing temperatures.
Firefighters were also treated at the scene for exposure to the cold conditions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Long Island gets through snow blast 7 min ago
- Snow leaves little accumulation throughout NYC 13 min ago
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow leaves little accumulation throughout...
13 min ago
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
46 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos