Northern Suburbs News
Firefighters battle flames, cold in Yonkers fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire burned through a Yonkers apartment building early Wednesday, leaving at least 20 homeless.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a four-story building on Hawthorne Avenue just after 12:30 a.m.
Between 20 to 25 occupants of nine apartments were left homeless.
The residents were not allowed back into the building because of icy stairs and water damage caused by freezing temperatures.
Firefighters were also treated at the scene for exposure to the cold conditions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench 12 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- Body found in lake where Conn. photographer went missing
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA