Northern Suburbs News
Firefighters battle flames, cold in Yonkers fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire burned through a Yonkers apartment building early Wednesday, leaving at least 20 homeless.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a four-story building on Hawthorne Avenue just after 12:30 a.m.
Between 20 to 25 occupants of nine apartments were left homeless.
The residents were not allowed back into the building because of icy stairs and water damage caused by freezing temperatures.
Firefighters were also treated at the scene for exposure to the cold conditions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos