Northern Suburbs News
Newspaper takes down gun permit database
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.
Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.
The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."
The Journal News had published interactive maps on its LoHud.com site pinpointing thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland County. The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 26 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos