Northern Suburbs News
Newspaper takes down gun permit database
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.
Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.
The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."
The Journal News had published interactive maps on its LoHud.com site pinpointing thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland County. The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 25 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 53 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
25 min ago