Northern Suburbs News
Newspaper takes down gun permit database
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.
Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.
The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."
The Journal News had published interactive maps on its LoHud.com site pinpointing thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland County. The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth 1 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue