Northern Suburbs News
Newspaper takes down gun permit database
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.
Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.
The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."
The Journal News had published interactive maps on its LoHud.com site pinpointing thousands of permit holders in Westchester and Rockland County. The maps remained online late Friday but could no longer be manipulated to find names and addresses.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Snow alert issued for New York City 15 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela 44 min ago
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary