Northern Suburbs News
Stratford renames school for slain teacher Victoria Soto
STRATFORD, Conn. -- Officials of a town near Newtown are renaming a local school for a resident killed in the massacre there and hailed as a hero.
HoneySpot Elementary School in Stratford will be named after 27-year-old Victoria Soto, who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Shooter Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six educators at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide. He also killed his mother at their Newtown home.
Mayor John Harkins made the recommendation which was approved Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 15 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 26 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured 7 min ago
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
15 min ago