Northern Suburbs News
Stratford renames school for slain teacher Victoria Soto
STRATFORD, Conn. -- Officials of a town near Newtown are renaming a local school for a resident killed in the massacre there and hailed as a hero.
HoneySpot Elementary School in Stratford will be named after 27-year-old Victoria Soto, who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Shooter Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six educators at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide. He also killed his mother at their Newtown home.
Mayor John Harkins made the recommendation which was approved Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 21 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 3 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos