Northern Suburbs News
Stratford renames school for slain teacher Victoria Soto
STRATFORD, Conn. -- Officials of a town near Newtown are renaming a local school for a resident killed in the massacre there and hailed as a hero.
HoneySpot Elementary School in Stratford will be named after 27-year-old Victoria Soto, who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Shooter Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six educators at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide. He also killed his mother at their Newtown home.
Mayor John Harkins made the recommendation which was approved Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- LIRR train derails in East River tunnel
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Storm
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Victim of attempted robbery falls out window
- Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
- Teacher suspended after alleged sending threatening voicemail
- Passenger arrested after incident on Newark-bound flight
- LI 7-Eleven owners accused of human smuggling
- NYC plans composting program to recycle food scraps
- abcnews: Murnaghans Face Backlash After Sarah's Lung...
- Actor Jeff Garlin won't face vandalism charges in LA
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos