Northern Suburbs News
Vote set to name Stratford school for slain teacher
STRATFORD -- A proposal to name a school after a teacher killed in the Newtown, Connecticut, school shootings is set to go before a town council.
Stratford Mayor John Harkins is recommending naming a new elementary school named after Victoria Soto, a 27-year-old Stratford resident who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooter killed 20 children and six women at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide.
The Town Council is scheduled to vote on the name of the school Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 40 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Carteret freight train derailment closes turnpike ramps 24 min ago
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video 51 min ago
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Carteret freight train derailment closes...
24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos