Northern Suburbs News
Vote set to name Stratford school for slain teacher
STRATFORD -- A proposal to name a school after a teacher killed in the Newtown, Connecticut, school shootings is set to go before a town council.
Stratford Mayor John Harkins is recommending naming a new elementary school named after Victoria Soto, a 27-year-old Stratford resident who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooter killed 20 children and six women at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide.
The Town Council is scheduled to vote on the name of the school Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 19 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 30 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos