Northern Suburbs News
Controversy surrounds gun show in Stamford
STAMFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- A gun show goes on in Connecticut this weekend despite controversy just three weeks after the Sandy Hook school shooting.The "East Coast Fine Arms Show" began Saturday and continues Sunday at a hotel in Stamford, about 30 miles away from Newtown. The advertisement for the show running this past week in the Stamford Advocate sparked outrage, when it ran on the same page as a story about the Newtown shooting. Stamford's mayor asked the show's organizers to cancel or postpone, but they declined. Two years ago, Eyewitness News previewed a show by the same promoters in White Plains.
But Westchester's County executive has already cancelled next month's event at the county center.
In Stamford, the show is being held at a private venue, The Crown Plaza Hotel.
Speaking of the hotel, management acknowledges it has received a number of phone calls from people angry the event is being held there.
Police say promoters have hired extra off-duty officers to work security and that on-duty cops will be stopping by as well.
Police and promoters point out that assault type weapons are not sold at the show which features mainly high end antique and collectible firearms.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gun, stamford, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in...
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
47 min ago