Northern Suburbs News
Suspicious man prompts lockdown at Mamaroneck schools
MAMARONECK (WABC) -- Police are investigating what they described as a suspicious incident that prompted Mamaroneck Union Free School District to lock down all schools on Thursday.
Authorities said a man attempted to enter the locked side door of the Hommocks Middle School Thursday morning.
Police said the man asked to retrieve an item he left in the pool over the weekend.
A staff member noticed what appeared to be a gun in his waistband, officials said. He asked the man if he had a gun and the man replied yes, and stated he worked in the security field.
The man was told he was not allowed to be on school property with a weapon and left immediately.
Police were called and responded immediately. Police have been dispatched to all four schools. Parents were asked not come to pick up their children until the end of the school day.
The campus employee he spoke with described the interaction as pleasant. Police are looking to speak with the individual.
He was wearing a black North Face jacket, he is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and speaks with an Irish accent.
All afternoon and evening activities at all of Mamaroneck schools were canceled on Thursday.
The district said it plans to have a police presence at schools for the start of the day on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 7 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 29 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos