Northern Suburbs News
Burglary suspect found on toilet, claiming to be victim
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Police in Connecticut have two men in custody in connection with a break-in that ended with one of the suspects found sitting on a toilet.
Officers responded to a report of a burglary on Englewood Avenue in Bridgeport around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say one officer climbed through the same window that had reportedly been forced open by the burglars and then opened the back door for other officers.
Police began a room-by-room search and stopped when they encountered a closed door. Inside, they found 34-year-old Samuel Sanders sitting on the toilet, claiming to be a victim.
Sanders apparently told officers that the homeowner let him stay there, but his story fell apart when the owner denied knowing who he was.
Officers found snow tracks leading away from the backyard of the property, which led to 38-year-old Johnnie Newkirk. He was arrested a few blocks away.
Police say they recovered a pillowcase filed with items stolen from the apartment.
Both men are charged with second-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools and interfering with police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bridgeport, connecticut, burglary, northern suburbs news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen