Northern Suburbs News
Burglary suspect found on toilet, claiming to be victim
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Police in Connecticut have two men in custody in connection with a break-in that ended with one of the suspects found sitting on a toilet.
Officers responded to a report of a burglary on Englewood Avenue in Bridgeport around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say one officer climbed through the same window that had reportedly been forced open by the burglars and then opened the back door for other officers.
Police began a room-by-room search and stopped when they encountered a closed door. Inside, they found 34-year-old Samuel Sanders sitting on the toilet, claiming to be a victim.
Sanders apparently told officers that the homeowner let him stay there, but his story fell apart when the owner denied knowing who he was.
Officers found snow tracks leading away from the backyard of the property, which led to 38-year-old Johnnie Newkirk. He was arrested a few blocks away.
Police say they recovered a pillowcase filed with items stolen from the apartment.
Both men are charged with second-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools and interfering with police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bridgeport, connecticut, burglary, northern suburbs news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos