Northern Suburbs News
Burglary suspect found on toilet, claiming to be victim
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Police in Connecticut have two men in custody in connection with a break-in that ended with one of the suspects found sitting on a toilet.
Officers responded to a report of a burglary on Englewood Avenue in Bridgeport around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say one officer climbed through the same window that had reportedly been forced open by the burglars and then opened the back door for other officers.
Police began a room-by-room search and stopped when they encountered a closed door. Inside, they found 34-year-old Samuel Sanders sitting on the toilet, claiming to be a victim.
Sanders apparently told officers that the homeowner let him stay there, but his story fell apart when the owner denied knowing who he was.
Officers found snow tracks leading away from the backyard of the property, which led to 38-year-old Johnnie Newkirk. He was arrested a few blocks away.
Police say they recovered a pillowcase filed with items stolen from the apartment.
Both men are charged with second-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools and interfering with police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bridgeport, connecticut, burglary, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 56 min ago
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust 3 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 54 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
43 min ago