Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut marks signing of Emancipation Proclamation
HARTFORD -- The signing of the Emancipation Proclamation was celebrated at the Connecticut state Capitol Tuesday.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman on Tuesday marked the 150th anniversary of the signing by President Abraham Lincoln, which signaled the abolition of slavery.
The event was held in the north lobby of the state Capitol. Wyman discussed how Lincoln's courage in signing the proclamation can provide inspiration and guidance today.
The celebration was sponsored by The Amistad Committee, the General Assembly's African-American Affairs Commission, the Connecticut Freedom Trail Committee and the Office of the Secretary of the State.
State Sen. Toni Harp of New Haven served as the keynote speaker. Poetry readings, performances and the ringing of the Capitol's Liberty Bell replica were planned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado 11 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Elderly man falls in Hudson off of Pier 84
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Muggy
32 min ago