Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut marks signing of Emancipation Proclamation
HARTFORD -- The signing of the Emancipation Proclamation was celebrated at the Connecticut state Capitol Tuesday.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman on Tuesday marked the 150th anniversary of the signing by President Abraham Lincoln, which signaled the abolition of slavery.
The event was held in the north lobby of the state Capitol. Wyman discussed how Lincoln's courage in signing the proclamation can provide inspiration and guidance today.
The celebration was sponsored by The Amistad Committee, the General Assembly's African-American Affairs Commission, the Connecticut Freedom Trail Committee and the Office of the Secretary of the State.
State Sen. Toni Harp of New Haven served as the keynote speaker. Poetry readings, performances and the ringing of the Capitol's Liberty Bell replica were planned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Harlem robber caught on camera using ATM
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos