Northern Suburbs News
Putnam County refuses to release gun permit list
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- There is a new twist in the battle over releasing the names of gun permit owners.
The Putnam County clerk is refusing to release the names in his county.
The Journal News has outraged many gun owners in Westchester and Rockland counties by publishing their names and home addresses.
It wants to do the same in Putnam, but County Clerk Dennis Sant said he would defer a request for information about permit holders.
"There is the rule of law, and there is right and wrong, and the Journal News is clearly wrong," Sant said in a statement. "I could not live with myself if one Putnam pistol permit holder was put in harm's way, for the sole purpose of selling newspapers."
Robert Freeman, of the state's Committee on Open Government, says the county would be violating state law if it withholds public data.
Meanwhile, the newspaper has reportedly hired armed guards at its headquarters.
The Journal News previously printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders, along with a Google map with their addresses. Critics have called the publication an invasion of privacy, and some say it could endanger permit holders.
The paper has been inundated by angry comments, but editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live, and the information is public.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 8 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 30 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos