Northern Suburbs News
Putnam County refuses to release gun permit list
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- There is a new twist in the battle over releasing the names of gun permit owners.
The Putnam County clerk is refusing to release the names in his county.
The Journal News has outraged many gun owners in Westchester and Rockland counties by publishing their names and home addresses.
It wants to do the same in Putnam, but County Clerk Dennis Sant said he would defer a request for information about permit holders.
"There is the rule of law, and there is right and wrong, and the Journal News is clearly wrong," Sant said in a statement. "I could not live with myself if one Putnam pistol permit holder was put in harm's way, for the sole purpose of selling newspapers."
Robert Freeman, of the state's Committee on Open Government, says the county would be violating state law if it withholds public data.
Meanwhile, the newspaper has reportedly hired armed guards at its headquarters.
The Journal News previously printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders, along with a Google map with their addresses. Critics have called the publication an invasion of privacy, and some say it could endanger permit holders.
The paper has been inundated by angry comments, but editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live, and the information is public.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela 14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yankees open to Brett Gardner trade 55 min ago
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary