Northern Suburbs News
Journal News sparks outrage with gun database
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- A local newspaper is sparking controversy over its take on the gun control debate in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Journal News printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, sparking outrage and calling for readers to boycott the paper.
They also published the permit holders' addresses and a Google map to their homes.
The paper has now been inundated by angry comments, although editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live.
Protestors have responded by posting the home address and phone number of the Journal News publisher.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Gunman dead in shotoing at Colorado high school 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 22 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 18 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 6 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says 44 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
22 min ago