Northern Suburbs News
Journal News sparks outrage with gun database
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- A local newspaper is sparking controversy over its take on the gun control debate in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Journal News printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, sparking outrage and calling for readers to boycott the paper.
They also published the permit holders' addresses and a Google map to their homes.
The paper has now been inundated by angry comments, although editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live.
Protestors have responded by posting the home address and phone number of the Journal News publisher.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: More Humid 13 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette' 41 min ago
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: More Humid
13 min ago