Northern Suburbs News
Journal News sparks outrage with gun database
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- A local newspaper is sparking controversy over its take on the gun control debate in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Journal News printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, sparking outrage and calling for readers to boycott the paper.
They also published the permit holders' addresses and a Google map to their homes.
The paper has now been inundated by angry comments, although editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live.
Protestors have responded by posting the home address and phone number of the Journal News publisher.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 35 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
58 min ago