Northern Suburbs News
Journal News sparks outrage with gun database
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- A local newspaper is sparking controversy over its take on the gun control debate in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Journal News printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, sparking outrage and calling for readers to boycott the paper.
They also published the permit holders' addresses and a Google map to their homes.
The paper has now been inundated by angry comments, although editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live.
Protestors have responded by posting the home address and phone number of the Journal News publisher.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97