Northern Suburbs News
Newburgh police standoff ends with arrest of suspect
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- A police standoff has finally ended in Newburgh in Orange County with the suspect taken into custody.
Police had shut down streets after a man wanted for attempted murder refused to come out of his house when authorities arrived to execute a warrant.
Gofford Lembhard, the older brother of a man killed in March during a confrontation with police, allegedly fired a gun at a passing car in September at a man in a dispute over a girl. The incident occurred after a rally protesting police brutality in Newburgh.
Lembhard was seen jumping out of the house before taken into custody by police. Neighbors gathered in the neighborhood as the situation unfolded.
Members of the SWAT team were on the porch and around the building.
Sources say Lembhard's reluctance to come outside was because of distrust of police and his assertion that he is innocent of the charges. It is unclear if he is armed. Some say he has a BB gun, others say a real gun and some say unarmed.
Michael Lembhard was killed by police in March while trying to execute a warrant. When Lembhard ran into his sister's house and grabbed a kitchen knife, two officers fired 16 rounds at him. A grand jury ruled the officers acted in self defense.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
newburgh, orange county, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 32 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
13 min ago