Northern Suburbs News
Westchester DA, hospitals fight infant deaths
BRONXVILLE -- A district attorney and eight hospitals in suburban New York are warning new parents about the threat to infants from sleeping in unsafe settings.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said Tuesday that 26 of 63 infant deaths investigated since 2006 turned out to involve unsafe sleeping environments.
A new video for parents and other caregivers stresses that a baby should sleep alone, in a crib, on his or her back.
Unsafe conditions include pillows, stuffed animals or inappropriate bedding. Advocates also advise against putting a baby to sleep with others in an adult bed.
Adults should not consume substances that make them less than alert, especially before bedtime.
Hospitals will show the video in maternity wards and parenting classes, and will post it on their websites.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, baby, northern suburbs news
- Winter Weather Advisory 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 24 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 26 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 19 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 25 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 12 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
26 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
56 min ago