Northern Suburbs News
Westchester DA, hospitals fight infant deaths
BRONXVILLE -- A district attorney and eight hospitals in suburban New York are warning new parents about the threat to infants from sleeping in unsafe settings.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said Tuesday that 26 of 63 infant deaths investigated since 2006 turned out to involve unsafe sleeping environments.
A new video for parents and other caregivers stresses that a baby should sleep alone, in a crib, on his or her back.
Unsafe conditions include pillows, stuffed animals or inappropriate bedding. Advocates also advise against putting a baby to sleep with others in an adult bed.
Adults should not consume substances that make them less than alert, especially before bedtime.
Hospitals will show the video in maternity wards and parenting classes, and will post it on their websites.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, baby, northern suburbs news
- Tornado Warning extended for Sullivan County 6 min ago
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall 55 min ago
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos