Northern Suburbs News
Westchester DA, hospitals fight infant deaths
BRONXVILLE -- A district attorney and eight hospitals in suburban New York are warning new parents about the threat to infants from sleeping in unsafe settings.
Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said Tuesday that 26 of 63 infant deaths investigated since 2006 turned out to involve unsafe sleeping environments.
A new video for parents and other caregivers stresses that a baby should sleep alone, in a crib, on his or her back.
Unsafe conditions include pillows, stuffed animals or inappropriate bedding. Advocates also advise against putting a baby to sleep with others in an adult bed.
Adults should not consume substances that make them less than alert, especially before bedtime.
Hospitals will show the video in maternity wards and parenting classes, and will post it on their websites.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, baby, northern suburbs news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 30 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 20 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos