Northern Suburbs News
Couple headed to funeral die in plane crash
CANTON -- A husband and wife from Florida who were killed in a small plane crash in western Connecticut were headed to a family funeral.
WFSB-TV reports that 73-year-old Donald Derocher of Live Oak, Fla., was to attend the funeral of his 96-year-old father. Derocher was piloting the plane and his wife, Josephine, was the passenger.
The plane crashed late Monday on a ridge along Onion Mountain in Canton. It was headed to Simsbury.
Bob Derocher, who lives in Coventry, said his brother was a good pilot and had flown many times to Connecticut where they lived before moving to Florida. He said he is in disbelief.
The Federal Aviation Administration says the small plane was tracked by Bradley International Airport air and dropped off the radar.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, plane crash, northern suburbs news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 1 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 3 min ago
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire 5 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 51 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion 15 min ago
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
19 min ago