Northern Suburbs News
'Millionaire Madam' sentenced to time served, probation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The final obstacle to Anna Gristina's freedom was removed on Tuesday afternoon.
Bail bondsman Ira Judelson had put on the ankle monitoring bracelet last June after the accused Madam finally raised enough money to get out on bail.
The mother of four from Monroe, north of New York City, had spent four months in jail, charged with a single count of promoting prostitution.
Gristina left court in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday with her attorney after being sentenced to six months in jail, essentially time served. She'll be on probation for 5 years.
The Manhattan District Attorney's office let loose on Gristina in a scathing statement: "There is nothing glamorous about prostitution. Anna Gristina rented women's bodies for profit, which makes her a pimp. That also makes her a felon, and the court has now issued that judgment. She has no one to blame but herself for her decisions."
"I think people need to look deeper," Gristina said, when asked about the district attorney's statement.
"The district attorney's office called my client a pimp?" her attorney, Norman Pattis, asked.
During a several block tirade, Gristina's attorney blasted DA Cyrus Vance, saying he should apologize for making unsubstantiated allegations.
But prosecutors accused the 45-year-old Gristina of having a roster of wealthy, well-placed clients and boasting of law-enforcement connections during 15 years in a business that made her millions. She had said she was merely starting a dating service.
Prosecutors said they had to investigate her claims, but found no evidence to show she was as well connected as she had boasted. ---
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at email@example.com.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
anna gristina, orange county, prostitution, arrest, northern suburbs news, sarah wallace
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 46 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014