New York News
Police rescue man threatening to jump off Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police made a dramatic rescue Tuesday morning of a man threatening to jump off the upper roadway of the Verrazano Bridge.
Four officers from the NYPD's emergency services unit arrived at 11 a.m. to find a 62-year old man on the Staten Island bound upper roadway of the bridge.
Officers Vlad Green and Frank Gigliotti, along with Detective Nicholas Scianna and an officer from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, talked with him while they waited for the Hostage Negotiation Team to arrive.
Once on the scene, a hostage negotiator was able to convince the man to voluntarily come in from the edge of the bridge.
The officers from the Emergency Services unit secured him in a safety harness and brought him to safety.
The man was then taken to Lutheran Hospital, uninjured, for evaluation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania 48 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard 42 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239...
49 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in...
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
34 min ago
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos