New York News
Police rescue man threatening to jump off Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police made a dramatic rescue Tuesday morning of a man threatening to jump off the upper roadway of the Verrazano Bridge.
Four officers from the NYPD's emergency services unit arrived at 11 a.m. to find a 62-year old man on the Staten Island bound upper roadway of the bridge.
Officers Vlad Green and Frank Gigliotti, along with Detective Nicholas Scianna and an officer from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, talked with him while they waited for the Hostage Negotiation Team to arrive.
Once on the scene, a hostage negotiator was able to convince the man to voluntarily come in from the edge of the bridge.
The officers from the Emergency Services unit secured him in a safety harness and brought him to safety.
The man was then taken to Lutheran Hospital, uninjured, for evaluation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 44 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 44 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 15 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital