New York News
Police rescue man threatening to jump off Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police made a dramatic rescue Tuesday morning of a man threatening to jump off the upper roadway of the Verrazano Bridge.
Four officers from the NYPD's emergency services unit arrived at 11 a.m. to find a 62-year old man on the Staten Island bound upper roadway of the bridge.
Officers Vlad Green and Frank Gigliotti, along with Detective Nicholas Scianna and an officer from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, talked with him while they waited for the Hostage Negotiation Team to arrive.
Once on the scene, a hostage negotiator was able to convince the man to voluntarily come in from the edge of the bridge.
The officers from the Emergency Services unit secured him in a safety harness and brought him to safety.
The man was then taken to Lutheran Hospital, uninjured, for evaluation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide