New York News
Police arrest neighbor in shooting of 3-year-old boy in Brooklyn
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Neighbors say it has been a tough life for the three-year-old who was shot in the head early Saturday morning inside his Brooklyn apartment.
Born premature, neighbors say the boy was recently bit by a pit bull and survived, and now this.
On Saturday night, police charged a neighbor, Akeen Bernard, with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child, and tampering with evidence.
"I've seen the little kid around, the kid got bit by a dog a couple of months ago, and I hear the kid got shot in the head," said James Nicholas.
Relatives consoled each other outside the family's apartment on East 21st Street in Flatbush.
Investigators initially believed the toddler was hit by a stray bullet, but no bullet holes were found in any of the windows or walls.
The bullet entered the left side of the child's head. He is being treated at Cornell Medical center where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, child shot, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos