New York News
Police arrest neighbor in shooting of 3-year-old boy in Brooklyn
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Neighbors say it has been a tough life for the three-year-old who was shot in the head early Saturday morning inside his Brooklyn apartment.
Born premature, neighbors say the boy was recently bit by a pit bull and survived, and now this.
On Saturday night, police charged a neighbor, Akeen Bernard, with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child, and tampering with evidence.
"I've seen the little kid around, the kid got bit by a dog a couple of months ago, and I hear the kid got shot in the head," said James Nicholas.
Relatives consoled each other outside the family's apartment on East 21st Street in Flatbush.
Investigators initially believed the toddler was hit by a stray bullet, but no bullet holes were found in any of the windows or walls.
The bullet entered the left side of the child's head. He is being treated at Cornell Medical center where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, child shot, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 13 min ago
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy 1 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 10 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos