New York News
Police arrest neighbor in shooting of 3-year-old boy in Brooklyn
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Neighbors say it has been a tough life for the three-year-old who was shot in the head early Saturday morning inside his Brooklyn apartment.
Born premature, neighbors say the boy was recently bit by a pit bull and survived, and now this.
On Saturday night, police charged a neighbor, Akeen Bernard, with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child, and tampering with evidence.
"I've seen the little kid around, the kid got bit by a dog a couple of months ago, and I hear the kid got shot in the head," said James Nicholas.
Relatives consoled each other outside the family's apartment on East 21st Street in Flatbush.
Investigators initially believed the toddler was hit by a stray bullet, but no bullet holes were found in any of the windows or walls.
The bullet entered the left side of the child's head. He is being treated at Cornell Medical center where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, child shot, new york news
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 15 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos