New York News
Police arrest neighbor in shooting of 3-year-old boy in Brooklyn
FLATBUSH (WABC) -- Neighbors say it has been a tough life for the three-year-old who was shot in the head early Saturday morning inside his Brooklyn apartment.
Born premature, neighbors say the boy was recently bit by a pit bull and survived, and now this.
On Saturday night, police charged a neighbor, Akeen Bernard, with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child, and tampering with evidence.
"I've seen the little kid around, the kid got bit by a dog a couple of months ago, and I hear the kid got shot in the head," said James Nicholas.
Relatives consoled each other outside the family's apartment on East 21st Street in Flatbush.
Investigators initially believed the toddler was hit by a stray bullet, but no bullet holes were found in any of the windows or walls.
The bullet entered the left side of the child's head. He is being treated at Cornell Medical center where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, child shot, new york news
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 4 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl 10 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 34 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
14 min ago