New York News
Possible CitiBike breach may have exposed personal info
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A possible security breach for those signed up for New York City's CitiBike share program may have exposed customers' credit card numbers.
A software problem this month may have compromised the private account information of more than 1,100 members.
The Department of Transportation issued a statement saying, in part, "There is no evidence that any personal information was maliciously accessed or misused."
Credit monitoring will be provided free of charge.
The system has served a total of 180,000 customers.
Here is the full text of the statement from DOT spokesperson Seth Solomonow:
"Notifications such as these are standard legal disclosures in any case where there is even the potential for information to have been improperly accessed. This potential security issue affected 1,174 of NYC Bike Share's approximately 180,000 customers. While there is no evidence that any personal information was maliciously accessed or misused, NYC Bike Share engaged a security firm to investigate and recommend appropriate steps to make notifications and safeguard its customers, including to provide identity and credit monitoring free of charge."
new york city, new york news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 56 min ago
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 17 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case 4 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos