New York News
Metro-North Hudson line back on track after Bronx derailment
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Metro-North's Hudson Line is running in both directions Monday, four days after a freight train derailed.
The railroad says all trains are running with scattered delays of up to 15 minutes until 10 p.m. After 10 p.m., bus service will connect commuters to shuttle train service.
A freight train hauling garbage derailed between stations Thursday night.
The derailment affected service on the line that runs between Manhattan and Poughkeepsie, 80 miles north.
The damage was so substantial that only one of two tracks in the area is back in service on Monday. Work will continue on rebuilding the other track before it can be returned to passenger service.
The cause of the derailment is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board.
New York senator Charles Schumer is asking investigators to look at whether the recent heat wave weakened the railroad's fragile infrastructure.
"Some of the equipment along these lines dates back to 1914," says Schumer, "It's 100 years old. It means this equipment is particularly susceptible to transit-related failures."
Metro North's Hudson Line ferries thousands of people from Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester and the Bronx into Manhattan, and the derailment is causing major headaches for commuters.
new york city, bronx, metro north, train accident, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
14 min ago