New York News
9-year old girl shot in the Bronx
BRONX (WABC) -- A 9-year old girl is recovering in the hospital after she was shot in the stomach in the Bronx Friday night.
Amanda Chauan suffered a graze wound to her stomach after bouncing around a ball with her younger brother in front of their apartment building, when the fun and games became a matter of life or death. The shooting happened at about 9:30 p.m. at Bailey Avenue and 233rd Street in the Kingsbridge section.
"It was a bounce off, as she went to pick up the ball," said eyewitness Sammy Fernandez.
Police are looking for a teen who was riding a BMX bicycle who they believe opened fire on kids playing outside.
The child's mother, witnesses say, had just gone upstairs, leaving her 9-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the care of her boyfriend.
Sammy Hernandez helped him get her to the hospital.
"He told me that the baby was in the lobby area - they just took off," said Fernandez.
16-year-old Shakira Marrero was with an older sister when she got the call.
"She said 'your sister got shot', I didn't know what to do," says Marrero.
The victim's grandfather, Humberto Lopez hasn't been to the hospital yet, but he felt a sense of relief when he spoke to the third grader on Friday night.
"She sounded very good, going to see her today."
Chauan is listed in stable condition.
new york city, bronx, shooting, child shot, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos