New York News
Judge rules against 'Taxi of Tomorrow'
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A judge has ruled against the city's plan for a "Taxi of Tomorrow," saying the cab violates a law that lets drivers use hybrid vehicles.
The Nissan NV-200 will not be offered as a hybrid, at first.
The TLC was planning on amending the rules to allow certain hybrids to stay on the road until a hybrid Nissan was available.
That vote was expected Thursday, but the meeting has been cancelled. It's unclear what happens next.
The first of the new taxis was expected to hit the streets in October with all current cabs phased out by 2018.
The Greater NY Taxi Association released a statement saying:
"We applaud the court's decision that the ill-conceived Taxi of Tomorrow violates the city administrative code that requires a hybrid-option for new taxis. This is a clear-cut victory for all those who value clean air and environmental sustainability over an extra few inches of legroom. We are glad to see that the Taxi of Tomorrow is finally dead."
The Taxi and Limousine Commission's Commissioner, Chairman David Yassky also released a statement saying:
"The TLC is acting immediately to ensure that taxi owners will continue to have the option to purchase a hybrid vehicle, even once the ToT hits the road in October. This ruling will not delay the ToT's implementation."
new york city, taxi, new york news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
34 min ago