New York News
Judge rules against 'Taxi of Tomorrow'
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A judge has ruled against the city's plan for a "Taxi of Tomorrow," saying the cab violates a law that lets drivers use hybrid vehicles.
The Nissan NV-200 will not be offered as a hybrid, at first.
The TLC was planning on amending the rules to allow certain hybrids to stay on the road until a hybrid Nissan was available.
That vote was expected Thursday, but the meeting has been cancelled. It's unclear what happens next.
The first of the new taxis was expected to hit the streets in October with all current cabs phased out by 2018.
The Greater NY Taxi Association released a statement saying:
"We applaud the court's decision that the ill-conceived Taxi of Tomorrow violates the city administrative code that requires a hybrid-option for new taxis. This is a clear-cut victory for all those who value clean air and environmental sustainability over an extra few inches of legroom. We are glad to see that the Taxi of Tomorrow is finally dead."
The Taxi and Limousine Commission's Commissioner, Chairman David Yassky also released a statement saying:
"The TLC is acting immediately to ensure that taxi owners will continue to have the option to purchase a hybrid vehicle, even once the ToT hits the road in October. This ruling will not delay the ToT's implementation."
new york city, taxi, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 11 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 12 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
26 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos