New York News
New York City moves forward with East Midtown rezoning plan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bloomberg Administration is pushing ahead with a plan to rezone 73 blocks of East Midtown in Manhattan.
The first public hearing on the proposal was held Monday night.
The rezoning would increase density in one of the city's oldest and most established business districts, the area surrounding Grand Central Terminal.
The city hopes the rezoning will encourage the construction of new state-of-the-art commercial buildings.
Development under the rezoning is expected to expand the city's tax base, add thousands of permanent jobs in East Midtown and fund improvements to the subway and pedestrian network in the area.
The East Midtown plan is also the first initiative to require a higher standard for energy efficiency, ensuring that new office towers utilizing the zoning incentives will be at the leading edge of energy efficiency.
The rezoning covers the area generally bounded by East 39th Street to the south, East 57th Street to the north, Second and Third Avenues to the east and a line 150 feet east of Fifth Avenue to the west. The area includes Grand Central Terminal at its core with Park Avenue as its central spine, and is served by the Lexington Avenue subway and cross-town subway lines on 42nd and 53rd Streets.
new york city, grand central station, manhattan, midtown, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor... 1 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services 31 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College...
1 min ago