New York News
New York City moves forward with East Midtown rezoning plan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bloomberg Administration is pushing ahead with a plan to rezone 73 blocks of East Midtown in Manhattan.
The first public hearing on the proposal was held Monday night.
The rezoning would increase density in one of the city's oldest and most established business districts, the area surrounding Grand Central Terminal.
The city hopes the rezoning will encourage the construction of new state-of-the-art commercial buildings.
Development under the rezoning is expected to expand the city's tax base, add thousands of permanent jobs in East Midtown and fund improvements to the subway and pedestrian network in the area.
The East Midtown plan is also the first initiative to require a higher standard for energy efficiency, ensuring that new office towers utilizing the zoning incentives will be at the leading edge of energy efficiency.
The rezoning covers the area generally bounded by East 39th Street to the south, East 57th Street to the north, Second and Third Avenues to the east and a line 150 feet east of Fifth Avenue to the west. The area includes Grand Central Terminal at its core with Park Avenue as its central spine, and is served by the Lexington Avenue subway and cross-town subway lines on 42nd and 53rd Streets.
new york city, grand central station, manhattan, midtown, new york news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 20 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 33 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 26 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos