New York News
Third assault on gay man in Manhattan
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There have been a series of attacks against gay men in Manhattan. There have been three of them in a week.
The latest victim Eyewitness News learned about was coming out of "Pieces", a bar on Christopher Street on May 8th.
He was hailing a cab when he was assaulted by two men who were yelling gay slurs.
He was not seriously hurt.
But Nick Porto wasn't quite so lucky.
Porto and his partner Kevin Atkins were attacked outside Madison Square Garden.
Police are looking for eight men in that attack.
And on Friday morning, two gay men were attacked as they were going into "Space Billiards Hall" on W. 32nd Street.
Asllan Berisha and Brian Ramirez were charged with a hate crime in that assault, but again police are looking for more men who might have acted with them.
The three incidents have left the gay community wondering what happened to the progress it seemed like they were making recently.
Police say the attacks do not appear to be related.
new york city, greenwich village, assault, new york news, jim dolan
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster