New York News
Bronx boy saved after falling in river
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On a cool and comfortable Sunday night, the riverbank seemed like the perfect place, but it was also a dangerous spot.
Investigators say a 5-year-old boy ran away from the person who was watching him, and slipped and fell into the Bronx River near East 216th Street.
"I was shocked. I just didn't know what to do," said eyewitness Kwame Goulbourne.
Goulborne was playing basketball with his friends when it happened. He says the boy held on to brush along the Riverbank, but was struggling, and couldn't pull himself up. That is until help came from two Good Samaritans, who happened to be walking by.
"The lady got help from another lady and they pulled him out of the water. He was about to drown," said Goulborne.
Eyewitnesses say that the Good Samaritans plucked the teary-eyed boy from the cold water and called for help.
The boy has not yet been identified, but he rushed to Jacobi Hospital by first responders, and is expected to be okay.
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 27 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 55 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
27 min ago