New York News
Worker shot inside Brooklyn supermarket
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are searching for a gunman who opened fire inside a supermarket in Brooklyn during a robbery.
The victim is recovering at Brookdale Hospital.
A general manager told Eyewitness News that he spoke to the store manager over the phone.
He says that he says he'll make a full recovering and plans to go back to work soon.
"It's sad to hear in our neighborhood," said Orlando Vasquez, a customer.
People who live near the Fine Fare Supermarket in Brownsville, Brooklyn say living in fear is living with reality.
The latest dose of it was a robbery at the Truxton Street store which put the hardworking store manager in the hospital.
"I go in the store like every day. And everybody knows each other. I don't understand what's going on," a customer said.
"Shootings. It's usually bad in the summer. This isn't the first and it won't be the last," said Victor Torres, a customer.
Investigators combed the area for evidence after the Monday evening shooting.
An employee told Eyewitness News off camera that police have surveillance video that shows the robber buying candy inside the busy store, and just as the cashier opened the register he demanded money.
Witnesses say the manager was shot in the shoulder as he tried to intervene.
"I hope they catch him. I really hope they catch him and put him away. I hope he gets what he deserves," Vasquez said.
new york city, brooklyn, robbery, shooting, new york news, carolina leid
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013