New York News
New York City Fleet Week officially canceled
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The United States Navy has informed New York City that the annual Fleet Week celebration has officially been canceled due to the budget sequestration.
No Fleet Week means a drop in business for neighborhood restaurants, no sailors in Times Square, and no Marines at the local bars.
"We need the Navy. You know, the Navy supports us. It gets funding from America. Why can't they come?" said Fabiana Ferrier, a tourist.
"It's probably something that they look forward to even more than the people here. So yeah, it's a bit of a bad deal," said Tony Olufson, a tourist.
The Navy Wednesday officially confirmed that bad deal.
This year's popular Fleet Week celebration is canceled due to the federal budget sequester.
"We look forward to the opportunity to participate in future Fleet Weeks," said a spokesperson, "and we greatly appreciate the city's patience and understanding during these unusual times."
Daisy Mays BBQ and the Landmark Tavern sit one block away from the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.
The Fleet Week crowd normally provides a 20% to 30% boost in business, but not this year.
"It's not just that the sailors are not going to be coming over here to this area, but it's all the parents and tourists who have been coming to this area because it has been a tradition for so many years," said Monica Aguirre, Daisy Mays BBQ.
And it's not just the bottom line that takes a hit, patriotism does as well.
"The nice thing is you get a whole section of servicemen here at the bar and somebody sitting at a table will come up, just walk to the end of the bar, and say, tell them their lunch is on me, and it's just nice to see," said Tom Hummel, Landmark Tavern.
The event was set to begin May 23. Fleet Week gives people a chance to tour military ships docked on the Hudson, while sailors and marines enjoy Manhattan.
new york city, u.s. military, fleet week, new york news, joe torres
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 57 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 54 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect 26 min ago
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack 18 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 13 min ago
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos