New York News
Mother wants answers after daughter attacked
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A mother is demanding action after her daughter was injured and sent to a hospital after a fight between teenage girls was caught on camera.
This is the latest in the string of similar fights that in many cases have gone viral.
It raises a disturbing question: is the internet encouraging teenagers to fight?
For those who recorded this hideous violence, it was entertainment, but certainly not for Samantha Gonzalez.
"They didn't even think about the consequences when they cornered me," said Samantha Gonzalez, beating victim.
The video was posted on one of several sites known to display senseless, teen violence.
"About 10 girls just come and they grab me, and they pull me by my hair, they pull my hands, they hit me from both directions in my face, guys hit me," Gonzalez said.
"She has a fractured nose, two bruises on each eye, emotionally distressed," said Nina Kunicki, the victim's mother.
Samantha was walking with two girls in the park, one who had already been the victim of bullies and was living under a further threat, and sure enough in the peaceful park the bullying became a mob assault.
"This is clearly older girls from the high school beating up one or two younger girls from the junior high school," Councilman Peter Vallone, Jr. said.
Queens City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. says he learned of the video via Facebook.
"What bothers me almost as much as the girls attacking younger girls is that other kids were nearby that found time to encourage it, to film it, but didn't find time to stop the beating," Vallone said.
Police are investigating, and Councilman Vallone expects the video to lead to the attackers.
Samantha and her family can only hope to keep her safe, in the meantime.
"No child should have to go through this, and this is bullying, it's very bad, it's negative to children, not only mine but to any other child," Kunicki said.
new york city, astoria, queens, assault, new york news, art mcfarland
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 18 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 51 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 21 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
51 min ago
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
1 min ago