New York News
Elderly woman killed in East Village fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person died in a fire that shot heavy flames out the window of an East Village apartment building early Wednesday.
The fire started in the elderly victim's fifth-floor bedroom inside the 4th Avenue building just after midnight.
Firefighters put the fire out very quickly, but they made the tragic discovery once the flames were extinguished.
The 84-year-old woman was found unconscious in the apartment. Firefighters tried to revive her but were unsuccessful.
The fire, at a building known as the Petersfield, was under control just before 1 a.m. The cause is under investigation, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious.
new york city, east village, manhattan, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 37 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 39 min ago
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire 41 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake' 13 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
55 min ago