New York News
Elderly woman killed in East Village fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person died in a fire that shot heavy flames out the window of an East Village apartment building early Wednesday.
The fire started in the elderly victim's fifth-floor bedroom inside the 4th Avenue building just after midnight.
Firefighters put the fire out very quickly, but they made the tragic discovery once the flames were extinguished.
The 84-year-old woman was found unconscious in the apartment. Firefighters tried to revive her but were unsuccessful.
The fire, at a building known as the Petersfield, was under control just before 1 a.m. The cause is under investigation, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious.
new york city, east village, manhattan, fire, deadly fire, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 53 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 37 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 15 min ago
- Justin Bieber due in Toronto court on assault charge 5 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos