New York News
Police hunt suspects in Bronx restaurant robbery
FORDHAM (WABC) -- The NYPD is searching for two men who pulled off a brazen armed robbery at a restaurant in the Bronx, ripping the cash register right from the wall.
It happened the night of March 28th at a Kennedy Fried Chicken restaurant on Creston Avenue in the Fordham section.
The shotgun-toting bandit and his baseball cap wearing accomplice walked in, with security cameras capturing every moment of the heist.
The crooks immediately went to the counter, demanding cash, cocking the gun at one point when the two employees didn't move fast enough.
The second man eventually jumped over the counter to get to the register and the cash.
But when he couldn't open it, he ripped it from the wall and dragged it over the counter.
The pair fled the store, register in hand, receipt paper trailing behind them.
At the restaurant Monday, business was brisk, though management wouldn't comment on camera.
Despite the hustle and bustle of the Fordham neighborhood during the day, many there say at the time of the robbery, just before 11 p.m., it's like a ghost town.
"Around like 8 o'clock, 8:30, it starts to die down because the local stores close down about 7:30," said Paris Porter of Concrete Jungle Tattoos. "So, it's a little bit more in need for foot traffic police out here."
The manager told us the restaurant has never been robbed. The cameras are just for security.
The man who pulled the gun is described as a heavyset black male in his 40's.
The other suspect is described as a black male in his 30's, 5'9", 180 pounds.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS (8477).
The public can also submit their tips by logging onto Crime Stoppers' website at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting their tips to CRIMES (274637), then enter TIP577.
new york city, bronx, robbery, new york news, sandra bookman
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest 3 min ago
- FSU's Jameis Winston not charged in sex assault case
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters 21 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos