New York News
Bronx Zoo gorilla Pattycake dies at 40
NEW YORK -- Pattycake, the first gorilla born in New York City, has died at the Bronx Zoo. She was 40 years old and suffering from chronic cardiac problems.
The Wildlife Conservation Society, which operates the zoo, made the announcement on Sunday and said a necropsy would be performed to determine the cause of death. It said Pattycake surpassed the median life span for gorillas in zoos, which is 37 years old.
"Millions of children in New York City grew up with Pattycake at the Bronx Zoo," said Jim Breheny, director of the Bronx Zoo and WCS Executive Vice President and General Director of Zoos & Aquarium. "Pattycake was a very special animal and her presence will be deeply missed."
Pattycake was born at the Central Park Zoo on Sept. 3, 1972 and lived there with her parents Kongo and Lulu. She made news at 5 months old when she suffered a broken arm. In 1983, she went to live at the Bronx Zoo. Two books were written about her.
She had 10 infants while at the zoo, including twins born in 1995. Her offspring live in zoos in Boston, Buffalo, N.Y., Detroit, Louisville, Omaha, Neb., and Utah.
The Wildlife Conservation Society said Pattycake was the 31st oldest gorilla of 338 living in North American zoos.
new york city, bronx zoo, new york news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos