New York News
Bronx Zoo gorilla Pattycake dies at 40
NEW YORK -- Pattycake, the first gorilla born in New York City, has died at the Bronx Zoo. She was 40 years old and suffering from chronic cardiac problems.
The Wildlife Conservation Society, which operates the zoo, made the announcement on Sunday and said a necropsy would be performed to determine the cause of death. It said Pattycake surpassed the median life span for gorillas in zoos, which is 37 years old.
"Millions of children in New York City grew up with Pattycake at the Bronx Zoo," said Jim Breheny, director of the Bronx Zoo and WCS Executive Vice President and General Director of Zoos & Aquarium. "Pattycake was a very special animal and her presence will be deeply missed."
Pattycake was born at the Central Park Zoo on Sept. 3, 1972 and lived there with her parents Kongo and Lulu. She made news at 5 months old when she suffered a broken arm. In 1983, she went to live at the Bronx Zoo. Two books were written about her.
She had 10 infants while at the zoo, including twins born in 1995. Her offspring live in zoos in Boston, Buffalo, N.Y., Detroit, Louisville, Omaha, Neb., and Utah.
The Wildlife Conservation Society said Pattycake was the 31st oldest gorilla of 338 living in North American zoos.
new york city, bronx zoo, new york news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 19 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 30 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos