New York News
Brutal subway punch suspect under arrest
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A suspected thief who sucker punched a stranger on the subway before stealing his cell phone was arrested Tuesday. The entire incident was caught on surveillance camera.
Police arrested 31-year-old Leonard Johnson and charged him with robbery.
The attack happened at the Times Square subway stop early Monday morning.
Police say Johnson approached the 35-year-old victim at the turnstyle just after midnight, spoke to him briefly and then punched him without warning.
The suspect then forcibly removed the victim's cell phone from his hand before fleeing on foot toward the northbound No. 1 train platform.
new york city, times square, surveillance video, subway crime, subway, new york news
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 25 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 53 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
25 min ago