New York News
Body in barrel was murder victim, medical examiner rules
HARLEM (WABC) -- Investigators say the body of a woman found in a 55-gallon drum in a Harlem apartment over the weekend had been stabbed multiple times.
The discovery was made inside a home on 2400 Seventh Ave near West 140th Street over the weekend.
An autopsy determined the woman sustained wounds to the torso, injuring her major organs. The cause of death was ruled a homicide.
Officials are still working to make a positive identification of the body, which they say had been in the barrel for several days and was decomposing.
A young man who lives in the room where the body was found is in police custody and undergoing a psychological exam at St. Luke's Hospital.
Detectives plan to question him about the death, which is preliminarily being investigated as a domestic dispute.
The body was found after the man's grandmother called police about a foul odor coming from the room Saturday night.
new york city, harlem, body found, new york news
- Boy injured in Mount Olive sledding accident
- Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- No 7 train between 74th-Broadway and Times Square 12 min ago
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront 35 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey gets hit with another dose of snow 49 min ago
- Long Island gets through snow blast
- Bay Shore bandit steals truck with toys for sick kids 16 min ago
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids 58 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow leaves little accumulation throughout...
16 min ago