New York News
Exclusive: 90-year-old store owner robbed
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police hope some exclusive surveillance video lead to the suspect who robbed and attacked a 90-year-old man inside his store.
They say the suspect beat up the store owner in the Bronx and took off with cash.
"He want the cash desperately. He want the cash," said Hector Diego Bellomo, robbery victim.
Hector Diego Bellomo was working alone Saturday night at Bueno Bonito Barato clothing store in the Melrose section of the Bronx.
In the exclusively obtained video, a man is seen barging in, demanding money, and then the suspect roughs up the 90-year-old store owner, shoving him repeatedly to the ground.
"A guy come up. He push me to the floor he want the money give me the money," Bellomo said.
The suspect becomes infuriates when Mr. Bellomo doesn't open the register fast enough.
The robber grabbed him by the shirt collar and tried to pry the register open himself.
"He get mad with me, he push me down, I get up. I say, 'I can't open it,'" Bellomo said.
Within minutes, the suspect opened the register and cleaned out a couple hundred dollars cash.
Bellomo's family has owned this store for three years. They've dealt with shoplifters but have never been robbed before.
He told Eyewitness News he's a bit shaken by what happened, but not enough to close the doors for good.
"I feel OK but I have a few black and blues and a pain in the back. I hope I feel better," Bellomo said.
The suspect is described as a dark-skinned Hispanic man, 5'10" tall, and 200 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black jacket.
If you have any information you are asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, robbery, new york news, carolina leid
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 11 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 58 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 51 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 9 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 16 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 44 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
58 min ago