New York News
NJ mayors concerned about Super Bowl costs
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (WABC) -- The Super Bowl and all the hype it brings means big bucks, but for whom?
When Carlstadt Mayor Will Roseman asked the NFL who would reimburse small towns like his for overtime for police fire and EMS the answer was not what he was hoping.
"Silence, which I thought was inappropriate in our opinion. You know it may be the NY Jets and the NY Giants but it's here in New Jersey and we have to pay for it," Carlstadt Mayor Will Roseman said.
His town just doesn't have the money in the budget and he's not alone.
Secaucus Mayor Mike Gonnelli says Dallas got $3 million for security from the NFL two years ago.
"Now I'm sure New York will be the NFL experience and I'm sure they will get money. Haven't been told that but I'm sure. We get absolutely no benefit. There is nothing here. Any sales tax goes to the state, we are kind of left out in the wind," said Secaucus Mayor Michael Gonnelli.
So, say they were to get reimbursed. Where would the money come from?
This is another one if those grey areas. Eyewitness News called the Super Bowl host committee and they said Eyewitness News should speak to the Jets and Giants.
Eyewitness News called the Giants who told us to speak to the Sports Exposition Authority.
The president and CEO of that organization tell Eyewitness News he met with the mayors.
"They graciously did say they would look into it and our hopes are high they will come through," the mayor said.
But for now, there are no hard answers, just more questions and that nagging feeling of, "Hey what about us?"
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york jets, new york giants, new jersey, new york news, phil lipof
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub 27 min ago
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey 53 min ago
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner 55 min ago
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Metro North train collision to affect...
8 min ago