New York News
Breezy Point body ID'd as missing Queens woman
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating after a body found washed up on a beach in Queens was identified as a 24-year-old woman who had been missing since December.
Authorities say they have now picked up Cheong's boyfriend, 26-year-old Latchman Balkaran, for questioning.
"She didn't deserve this. They threw her away like trash. Leave my baby like she was nothing," Bibi Ali, victim's mother, said.
Her mother is convinced that Marisha's boyfriend had something to do with it.
"I want him to tell me what he did. How did she end up on the beach? He knows. He has to know," she said.
The couple had been together for nearly five years. Latchman Balkaran has told NYPD detectives that he last saw Marisha in bed, sleeping when he left their home on December 19th.
When her body was discovered, her arms and legs had been bound and she was still in her pajamas, according to reports.
Her mother finds that suspicious, and an indication that Marisha didn't leave home on her own.
What's more, Ali says she received text messages from her daughter referring to her as "mom." That was a word that Marisha never used, she said.
"I know in my heart it wasn't her. She don't say 'mom.' She usually say 'mommy.' I know it wasn't her," Ali said.
She's convinced Balkaran sent the text messages to cover his tracks. Neighbors told us Balkaran went door-to-door in the days after Marisha's disappearance looking for surveillance video.
Authorities say there were signs of trauma on her body, but the decomposition was so advanced that it isn't clear if it indicates foul play. Sources also say her hands may have been bound when she went into the water.
Cheong's disappearance touched off months of searching. Her family insisted she hadn't just run away, especially because she left her coat and her iPad behind. The body was wearing only pajamas and one shoe.
The cause of death remains a mystery, and officials say it could take several weeks for the medical examiner to make a determination.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jamaica, body found, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 41 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos