New York News
Jewel heist at the Four Seasons Hotel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Brazen high end robberies are unusual, security experts say, and rarely do thieves get away with as much as they want.
Two thieves strolled into the posh and popular Four Seasons Hotel and suddenly took, of all things, a sledge hammer to a case full of pricey jewelry.
"They came up with the intent to do a quick knock it in and get the heck out," security expert Kevin Flanagan said.
Former NYPD Robbery Squad Detective Flanagan, now with Rydan Security, sees this heist as a poorly planned.
"We have three actors, two inside, one in the getaway vehicle. The take at the end of the day probably won't be worth the time that they will eventually do when they get locked up," he said.
In a wall display now covered, the jewels include an assortment of pendants, diamond ear rings, watches and necklaces worth about 700-thousand dollars, according to a spokesperson for Jacob and Company, which filled the display from its store right across 57th Street.
Owner Jacob Arabov, known as Jacob the Jeweler is a supplier of expensive gems and watches to an array of celebrities. From the Four Seasons case the thieves were only able to knock a fist-size hole in the glass and take just under $100-thousand dollars' worth of the items, a company spokesperson said.
The pair quickly escaped out the front door and into a waiting car, which sped down 57th Street. Still, the brazen heist surprises guests.
"Any kind of burglary like that is unfortunate. Plus, security is fabulous," Gary Cox said.
Police investigators are looking at other video from inside the hotel, but also say some of the security cameras were not working at the time.
A hotel spokesperson describes the incident as unusual, but went on to say, "We take safety very seriously and our security measures remain high."
The thieves take? Maybe not even 10 cents on the dollar.
"They won't get anywhere close to the retail sale value, unless they have someone who is expecting certain pieces," Flanagan said.
Anyone with information in regard to this missing female is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, midtown, robbery, new york news, tim fleischer
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos