New York News
Huge fire tears through Pratt Institute building
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A destructive four-alarm fire burned through a building on the campus of the Pratt Institute in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn overnight.
The fire broke out inside the Main Building on Willoughby Avenue just before 2:20 a.m. Friday.
Heavy flames tore through the sixth floor and the roof of the building. Fire, smoke and water also caused damage to the lower floors.
There were no students or faculty inside at the time, and no firefighters were reported injured.
The building has high ceilings, and firefighters said the roof partially collapsed.
Fire marshals are investigating, because there was a large amount of fire upon their arrival. The fire has been deemed suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation.
Students said they had a lot of important items on that sixth floor, including paintings and thesis papers. Many gathered to watch the scene unfold. Twitter was also ablaze with tweets about items that might have been lost.
The building houses purely administrative offices on the lower floors and classrooms on the top, so officials emphasized this was not a dorm. The building was locked and supposedly empty, which is why arson is suspected.
The school offers programs in architecture, art and design.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, clinton hill, fire, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 4 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 5 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
19 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos