New York News
Huge fire tears through Pratt Institute building
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A destructive four-alarm fire burned through a building on the campus of the Pratt Institute in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn overnight.
The fire broke out inside the Main Building on Willoughby Avenue just before 2:20 a.m. Friday.
Heavy flames tore through the sixth floor and the roof of the building. Fire, smoke and water also caused damage to the lower floors.
There were no students or faculty inside at the time, and no firefighters were reported injured.
The building has high ceilings, and firefighters said the roof partially collapsed.
Fire marshals are investigating, because there was a large amount of fire upon their arrival. The fire has been deemed suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation.
Students said they had a lot of important items on that sixth floor, including paintings and thesis papers. Many gathered to watch the scene unfold. Twitter was also ablaze with tweets about items that might have been lost.
The building houses purely administrative offices on the lower floors and classrooms on the top, so officials emphasized this was not a dorm. The building was locked and supposedly empty, which is why arson is suspected.
The school offers programs in architecture, art and design.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, clinton hill, fire, new york news
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 4 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 3 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos