New York News
Huge fire tears through Pratt Institute building
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A destructive four-alarm fire burned through a building on the campus of the Pratt Institute in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn overnight.
The fire broke out inside the Main Building on Willoughby Avenue just before 2:20 a.m. Friday.
Heavy flames tore through the sixth floor and the roof of the building. Fire, smoke and water also caused damage to the lower floors.
There were no students or faculty inside at the time, and no firefighters were reported injured.
The building has high ceilings, and firefighters said the roof partially collapsed.
Fire marshals are investigating, because there was a large amount of fire upon their arrival. The fire has been deemed suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation.
Students said they had a lot of important items on that sixth floor, including paintings and thesis papers. Many gathered to watch the scene unfold. Twitter was also ablaze with tweets about items that might have been lost.
The building houses purely administrative offices on the lower floors and classrooms on the top, so officials emphasized this was not a dorm. The building was locked and supposedly empty, which is why arson is suspected.
The school offers programs in architecture, art and design.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, clinton hill, fire, new york news
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 42 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 24 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 22 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick...
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos