New York News
New York library book returned 55 years late, with $100
NEW YORK -- A long overdue book has finally been returned to the New York Public Library - 55 years late.
The New York Daily News says the biography of a 16th-century priest called "Fire of Francis Xavier" was checked out of the Fort Washington branch in upper Manhattan on April 10, 1958.
Library manager Jennifer Zarr tells the newspaper the book arrived at the library on Monday wrapped in a plain brown envelope with a check for $100 to cover the dues inside.
She says library records don't go back to 1958 and there's no way to trace who borrowed the book. She won't reveal the name on the check.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show 39 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers