New York News
Boy's family claims 7-year-old was handcuffed for hours
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.
Parents we spoke with were appalled. They say the boy should never have been held in handcuffs, regardless of the circumstances.
Great Neck attorney Jack Yankowitz admits the boy was involved in an altercation with at least one other child outside P.S. 114 in the Bronx, where there was a dispute over fivedollars.
Police later came to the school and arrested the boy and brought him to the 44th precinct where he was held for several hours, allegedly in handcuffs.
The lawsuit says he suffered "&multiple bodily injuries, pain and distress, emotional and psychological injury and damage, great indignity, embarrassment and humiliation, pain and distress of mind and body& defamation and injury to his name, character and reputation in the community and among his family, friends, neighbors and others, has suffered unconscionable depravation and denial of his Civil Rights."
School officials say the incident occurred off school grounds and referred inquiries to the NYPD.
Police had no immediate comment.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ