New York News
Boy's family claims 7-year-old was handcuffed for hours
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.
Parents we spoke with were appalled. They say the boy should never have been held in handcuffs, regardless of the circumstances.
Great Neck attorney Jack Yankowitz admits the boy was involved in an altercation with at least one other child outside P.S. 114 in the Bronx, where there was a dispute over fivedollars.
Police later came to the school and arrested the boy and brought him to the 44th precinct where he was held for several hours, allegedly in handcuffs.
The lawsuit says he suffered "&multiple bodily injuries, pain and distress, emotional and psychological injury and damage, great indignity, embarrassment and humiliation, pain and distress of mind and body& defamation and injury to his name, character and reputation in the community and among his family, friends, neighbors and others, has suffered unconscionable depravation and denial of his Civil Rights."
School officials say the incident occurred off school grounds and referred inquiries to the NYPD.
Police had no immediate comment.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 58 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
58 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos