New York News
Boy's family claims 7-year-old was handcuffed for hours
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.
Parents we spoke with were appalled. They say the boy should never have been held in handcuffs, regardless of the circumstances.
Great Neck attorney Jack Yankowitz admits the boy was involved in an altercation with at least one other child outside P.S. 114 in the Bronx, where there was a dispute over fivedollars.
Police later came to the school and arrested the boy and brought him to the 44th precinct where he was held for several hours, allegedly in handcuffs.
The lawsuit says he suffered "&multiple bodily injuries, pain and distress, emotional and psychological injury and damage, great indignity, embarrassment and humiliation, pain and distress of mind and body& defamation and injury to his name, character and reputation in the community and among his family, friends, neighbors and others, has suffered unconscionable depravation and denial of his Civil Rights."
School officials say the incident occurred off school grounds and referred inquiries to the NYPD.
Police had no immediate comment.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case 42 min ago
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 28 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures