New York News
Boy's family claims 7-year-old was handcuffed for hours
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 7-year-old New York City boy's family has filed a $250 million claim against police and the city after saying he was handcuffed and falsely accused of stealing $5 from another student after school.
Parents we spoke with were appalled. They say the boy should never have been held in handcuffs, regardless of the circumstances.
Great Neck attorney Jack Yankowitz admits the boy was involved in an altercation with at least one other child outside P.S. 114 in the Bronx, where there was a dispute over fivedollars.
Police later came to the school and arrested the boy and brought him to the 44th precinct where he was held for several hours, allegedly in handcuffs.
The lawsuit says he suffered "&multiple bodily injuries, pain and distress, emotional and psychological injury and damage, great indignity, embarrassment and humiliation, pain and distress of mind and body& defamation and injury to his name, character and reputation in the community and among his family, friends, neighbors and others, has suffered unconscionable depravation and denial of his Civil Rights."
School officials say the incident occurred off school grounds and referred inquiries to the NYPD.
Police had no immediate comment.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 47 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11 20 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos