New York News
Couple gets new support in Russian baby adoption
LITTLE NECK, N.Y. (WABC) -- For Dania and Nick Mavros, their life together was almost complete.
"I think my husband and I thought we had just seen the brightest light in the world," said Dania.
That light was in a one-year-old Russian boy, Ari, who Dania and Nick were hoping to adopt. However, that adoption Soviet President Vladimir Putin has blocked in response, lawmakers say to a US law imposing restrictions on human rights abusers in Russia.
While Russia's Supreme Court did allow 50 adoptions, which are already in the works, between 500 and 1000 others by American couples including Dania and Nick are on hold.
"I don't think there is a word to describe what we are going through. Just to think our little boy would grow up in an orphanage," said Dania.
"We love him and we want to bring him home," Nick added.
Efforts to make that happen are being pushed by Congressman Steve Israel, he says in some form of sanctions.
"That would not hurt Russian families, but at the same time sends a message to President Putin that you can't take taxpayer money and hurt American taxpayers," said Israel.
Dania and Nick are not giving up. In fact, they are already planning for the future with Ari.
"We brought home some books, Russian fairy tales, and I hope one day we get to read them to him," Dania adds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
little neck, new york news, tim fleischer
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 7 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 29 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos