New York News
MTA bus driver blacks out and crashes; 6 injured
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A city bus crashed after a bus driver blacked out and lost control on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
It happened at Madison Avenue and 85th Street around 7:05 p.m.
"I looked up and I saw him swerving to the right and he's hitting cars," said Leslie Bautista, a passenger.
It took a few seconds for passengers to realize what was going on.
Their bus driver blacked out behind the wheel with 23 frightened people on the out-of-control bus.
"We heard some screams and lots of loud thuds, but lucky we had lots of green lights, but it felt like we blew through about seven intersections," said Becky Lubin, a passenger.
Passengers pried the wheels from the driver's hands and managed to stop the bus suddenly at East 85th and Madison Avenue.
"I tried to hit the break. I couldn't because he was sitting there. I figured his leg was on the gas. So I moved his leg and the bus stopped, it slowed down," said Guy Praisler, a passenger.
"I pulled him away from the wheel. Another gentleman started steering the bus. We hit a bunch of stuff along the avenue. The driver woke up and hit the break," said Arkady Kerkovitch, a passenger.
One passenger was taken away in an ambulance suffering from minor injuries.
Passengers say the BXM18 driver suffered some sort of medical condition and they just hope he's OK.
"I just feel really bad for the driver he's probably the nicest one," Praisler said.
Six people total went to Lenox Hill Hospital; four that were on the bus and two others not on the bus. The injured people not on the bus included a driver of a car that was struck and a person in a taxi cab.
All have non-life threatening injuries.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper east side, bus accident, new york news
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 11 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 30 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 56 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 8 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 39 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 12 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 6 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
30 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
39 min ago