New York News
School bus companies, union to meet Monday
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg says school bus companies and union leaders will meet Monday in an effort to resolve the strike.
A mediator will conduct the meeting at Gracie Mansion.
The strike by school bus drivers and aides entered its seventh day on Friday.
A spokeswoman for the bus company owners says the two sides have been meeting "all along," but the sticking point continues to be the Employee Protection Provision, or EPP, which assure that senior bus drivers and matrons will get priority over newcomers.
The city contracts with private bus companies. It says the city must seek competitive bids to save money. Local 1181 of the Amalgamated Transit Union wants the new contracts to include job protections for current drivers.
Some buses were running last week because their drivers are not members of Local 1181. The city Department of Education said 2,320 bus routes out of 7,700 were operating.
A decision is expected next week on whether the strike is even legal, after the National Labor Relations Board heard challenges this week. The bus company owners are expected to testify in an effort to get an injunction to stop the strike.
Summary and links:
The city is taking the following steps for families of students who currently receive yellow bus service:
The DOE will continue to update New Yorkers and will post new information on Schools.NYC.gov. Information will also be available at 311.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bus, strike, new york news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured 11 min ago
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting 14 min ago
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos