New York News
Port Authority agents help deliver baby in Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A baby boy was delivered in the Holland Tunnel Wednesday morning, a special rush-hour delivery made with the help of Port Authority agents.
The frantic father, identified as Abdel Elkarhat, ran for the help when the mother went into labor while in the tunnel, near the New York side, just after 7 a.m.
Port Authority agents George McCann and his partner Jean Bernard rushed to the car.
They carefully helped new mom Soukaina Nekhlaoui deliver the baby boy and even created an "oxygen tent" around the baby to protect the newborn from car fumes.
Both the mother, from Lodi, New Jersey, and little Nassim Mohammed Elkarhat were taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holland tunnel, new york news
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 20 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile