New York News
Port Authority agents help deliver baby in Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A baby boy was delivered in the Holland Tunnel Wednesday morning, a special rush-hour delivery made with the help of Port Authority agents.
The frantic father, identified as Abdel Elkarhat, ran for the help when the mother went into labor while in the tunnel, near the New York side, just after 7 a.m.
Port Authority agents George McCann and his partner Jean Bernard rushed to the car.
They carefully helped new mom Soukaina Nekhlaoui deliver the baby boy and even created an "oxygen tent" around the baby to protect the newborn from car fumes.
Both the mother, from Lodi, New Jersey, and little Nassim Mohammed Elkarhat were taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holland tunnel, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 34 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014