New York News
FDNY: Cigarette caused deadly Staten Island fire
STATEN ISLAND -- The Fire Department says a cigarette started a blaze that killed a man in his Staten Island home last weekend.
The Staten Island Advance reported Tuesday that FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer said officials traced Saturday's fire to a discarded, lighted cigarette.
Jameek Champagne died in a third-floor attic bedroom in the Osgood Avenue home. It was the only deadly fire on Staten Island this year.
Dwyer says faster response times and fire safety education efforts have helped reduce the number of fire-related deaths in the city over the last several years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, fire, fire death, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 13 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 14 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Toms River pummeled with snow
54 min ago
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
31 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos