New York News
Homeless celebrate Christmas in NYC restaurant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Years ago, Mayor Bloomberg promised he would end homelessness as we know it New York.
But that hasn't happened. In the last 12 years the number of homeless people in shelters shot up 57 percent.
Today in Lower Manhattan, there is a party for the homeless courtesy of City Hall Restaurant. They came in buses from shelters all over the city.
This is one of the nicer restaurants in the city. The owner decided when he opened 15 years ago he would feed the homeless every Christmas. But during that 15 year period the number of homeless keeps going up. Eyewitness News reporter Dave Evans checked the shelter number this morning and it stood at 47, 511 homeless in New York City.
Henry Wilson lives in a shelter in Jamaica, Queens. He's disabled, and has two 6-year-old twin boys.
"But you know it just breaks your heart not being able to be at that level where you can give your kids the best," Wilson said.
Henry and his boys have lived in that shelter for two years.
Mayor Bloomberg this afternoon visited here and defended his record on the homeless.
We asked Henry what the thinks of the Mayor?
"I voted for him a couple years ago. I guess I'm sort of let down," Wilson said.
It's not like Mayor Bloomberg is ignoring the homeless. He has tried countless new programs but it's just an old problem that wont' go away. It is felt more profoundly at this time of year.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 15 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 50 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 27 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 19 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos