New York News
Brooklyn Bridge vigil aims at tighter gun laws
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Gun control advocates spent Sunday on the Brooklyn Bridge, lining up from borough to borough to call for tighter gun laws.
Several hundred people marched across the bridge in a candelight vigil, hoping to send a message to legislators.
Attorney Norman Siegel says the rally was meant as a symbol of changing attitudes toward gun control.
He says those marching single file across the bridge hoped to inspire new gun laws after 20 small children and six adults were killed Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The names of the dead were read aloud in the middle of the bridge.
And some of the demonstrators chanted "no more guns." One marcher, Melanie Waldman Lloyd, says she is appalled that people are allowed to own assault weapons. She has a 5-year-old child.
Some came from as far as away as France and Brazil, saying these shootings never happen back home.
"It's not allowed and people just don't think it's common to have guns at home," said Maggie Alves of Brazil. "That's not common, that's not our reality."
Siegel insisted the Newtown shootings have changed everything.
"It is time for New Yorkers and all Americans to call for action to stop gun violence that is eroding the fabric of America. Enough is enough," said Siegel.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn bridge, gun control, gun violence, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 48 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
29 min ago