New York News
Suspect surrenders in rabbi bleach attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An Orthodox Jewish rabbi says he was hit in the face with a cup of bleach while walking down a Brooklyn street.
Police say 36-year-old Meilech Schnitzler was arrested shortly after he turned himself in Wednesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after he allegedly threw bleach into the eyes of his neighbor, Rabbi Nuchem Rosenberg.
Rosenberg, who has spoken out against child sex abuse in the Satmar Hasidic sect, says the thrower is connected to another person in the community that he has accused of abusing children.
Police say they have a report of the alleged incident, and that the 62-year-old victim was treated and released from a hospital.
Rosenberg was a regular at the trial of Rabbi Nechemeya Weberman, who was convicted Monday of molesting a young girl over several years.
Rosenberg was not seriously hurt because he was wearing glasses and immediately rinsed his eyes out with water.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, williamsburg, brooklyn, assault, new york news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos