New York News
NYPD investigates fatal police-involved shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD is investigating a police-involved shooting Saturday night that left one man dead in Queens.
Police say two plain-clothes detectives had just arrested a drug suspect Saturday night at Seneca and Gates Avenue in the Ridgewood section.
According to the NYPD, they were confronted by a 42-year old man who drew what appeared to be a black Glock 19 semi-automatic handgun from his waistband and pointed it at the officers, who fired a total of six rounds, striking him three times in the leg and torso.
The imitation Glock was actually a Walther CP99 compressed air pistol.
The man was pronounced dead later at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center.
No police officers were injured in the incident.
Investigators say the gunshot victim has an extensive criminal record with 39 prior arrests, including for drugs, robbery, criminal possession of a weapon, and assault.
Witnesses said the man with the imitation pistol had emerged from what appeared to be a black livery cab on Gates Avenue, which drove off as the man exited.
Police say the drug suspect told investigators that he recognized the man from the neighborhood, but did not know him personally.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, shooting, new york news
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 56 min ago
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 12 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 18 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
44 min ago