New York News
Mold, asbestos cleanup underway in storm-damaged school
BELLE HARBOR (WABC) -- It turns out parents who were concerned, and complained about potential mold at a storm-damaged Queens school had a good reason to be worried.
Tests have found mold and asbestos and PS 114Q in Belle Harbor.
This is a problem some parents say they saw coming.
"We have seen the mold grow in our own homes, so we knew that the school would be in a similar position as our homes were," said parent Irene Doherty.
The auditorium had to be sealed off, and parts of the stage where the mold was found had to be removed, according to an environmental study that was conducted Wednesday. Asbestos in a crawl-space also needs to be removed.
School re-opened, but parents found out two days later that the auditorium should not have been open to the children. They immediately closed down, and children have not been in the wing at all.
After Sandy, the Department of Education said that the entire building was cleaned, and it passed air quality testing. A letter sent out to parents on Friday played out a plan of action, and states,
"We hope this information will help alleviate any concerns that you may have, and reassure you that the conditions in PS 114Q are safe for children and staff."
Not only are crews working all weekend long to remove the mold and asbestos, the results of weekend long mold and air quality testing will be delivered first thing Monday morning to the principal before kids return to school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new york news, darla miles
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 23 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
23 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos