New York News
Mold, asbestos cleanup underway in storm-damaged school
BELLE HARBOR (WABC) -- It turns out parents who were concerned, and complained about potential mold at a storm-damaged Queens school had a good reason to be worried.
Tests have found mold and asbestos and PS 114Q in Belle Harbor.
This is a problem some parents say they saw coming.
"We have seen the mold grow in our own homes, so we knew that the school would be in a similar position as our homes were," said parent Irene Doherty.
The auditorium had to be sealed off, and parts of the stage where the mold was found had to be removed, according to an environmental study that was conducted Wednesday. Asbestos in a crawl-space also needs to be removed.
School re-opened, but parents found out two days later that the auditorium should not have been open to the children. They immediately closed down, and children have not been in the wing at all.
After Sandy, the Department of Education said that the entire building was cleaned, and it passed air quality testing. A letter sent out to parents on Friday played out a plan of action, and states,
"We hope this information will help alleviate any concerns that you may have, and reassure you that the conditions in PS 114Q are safe for children and staff."
Not only are crews working all weekend long to remove the mold and asbestos, the results of weekend long mold and air quality testing will be delivered first thing Monday morning to the principal before kids return to school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, hurricane, hurricane sandy, new york news, darla miles
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 55 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London 9 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore 50 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer today!
7 min ago