New York News
Grandmother killed in Bensonhurst car collision
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- A 60-year old grandmother was killed and her family is in the hospital after being hit by a car in Brooklyn.
The incident occurred Saturday on Quentin Rd. and W 5th Street in the Bensonhurst section, where two one-way streets intersect.
Police say an Acura SUV collided with a Jeep, flipped, and careened into the family walking on the street: a mother, two grandparents, and a 1-year old girl.
The grandmother, Chenugor Dao, was pronounced dead on arrival at Lutheran Medical Center.
Her husband, daughter, and 1-year old granddaughter all remain hospitalized in stable condition, along with four people riding in one of the cars.
The driver of the Acura was not hurt.
"The guy couldn't even get out of the car, they had to cut the door open," said eyewitness Giovanni Babel, "I've been living here for 22 years, I have never seen a car flip over like this."
Other witnesses tell Eyewitness News that they saw one car speeding.
Investigators are looking into the cause of the crash.
But so far the NYPD does not expect to file any criminal charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bensonhurst, accident, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane 18 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 30 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos