New York News
Grandmother killed in Bensonhurst car collision
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- A 60-year old grandmother was killed and her family is in the hospital after being hit by a car in Brooklyn.
The incident occurred Saturday on Quentin Rd. and W 5th Street in the Bensonhurst section, where two one-way streets intersect.
Police say an Acura SUV collided with a Jeep, flipped, and careened into the family walking on the street: a mother, two grandparents, and a 1-year old girl.
The grandmother, Chenugor Dao, was pronounced dead on arrival at Lutheran Medical Center.
Her husband, daughter, and 1-year old granddaughter all remain hospitalized in stable condition, along with four people riding in one of the cars.
The driver of the Acura was not hurt.
"The guy couldn't even get out of the car, they had to cut the door open," said eyewitness Giovanni Babel, "I've been living here for 22 years, I have never seen a car flip over like this."
Other witnesses tell Eyewitness News that they saw one car speeding.
Investigators are looking into the cause of the crash.
But so far the NYPD does not expect to file any criminal charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bensonhurst, accident, pedestrian struck, new york news
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 45 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos