New York News
2/3 of NYC's rooftops suitable for solar panels
NEW YORK -- A new highly interactive map shows that two-thirds of New York City's rooftops are suitable for solar panels.
The New York Times reports that together the panels could generate enough energy to meet half of the city's demand for electricity at peak periods.
It says the map is the result of a series of flights over the city by a laser-system-equipped airplane. It shows the solar potential of each of the city's more than one million buildings.
It was developed by a team at the City University of New York in partnership with the city and the federal Department of Energy.
The city is scheduled to make the map public on Thursday.
new york city, new york news
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 26 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City 36 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner 31 min ago
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars 28 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma...
46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
26 min ago
- Winners crowned on' Dancing With The Stars'
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos