New York News
2/3 of NYC's rooftops suitable for solar panels
NEW YORK -- A new highly interactive map shows that two-thirds of New York City's rooftops are suitable for solar panels.
The New York Times reports that together the panels could generate enough energy to meet half of the city's demand for electricity at peak periods.
It says the map is the result of a series of flights over the city by a laser-system-equipped airplane. It shows the solar potential of each of the city's more than one million buildings.
It was developed by a team at the City University of New York in partnership with the city and the federal Department of Energy.
The city is scheduled to make the map public on Thursday.
new york city, new york news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 51 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 39 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 47 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 40 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 5 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
54 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
29 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos